• question-icon

What causes fluttering feeling in the chest and tingling sensation in the body?

Posted on Fri, 7 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: for about 2 to 3 weeks now ive been feeling here and there fluttering in my chest,once and awhile a small sharp pain that only lasts a minute or two,feet and hands numb and tingly,and just run down.im 45 years old,good muscular shape,my whole life a hard worker,i work between 60 to 80 hours a week,always active even when home doing things,so run down is unusual for me.i dont drink,but do smoke and drink alot of coffee and soda to help get through long work days. today on a rare day off i was catching up on yard work,my hands and feet felt really tingly,my feet very cold feeling,and i keep getting these small little annoying pains in my chest.they only last for about a minute,and im feeling very run down.
is this just signs of exhuastion or should i be more worried?i have to be dying to go see a doctor,its very rare i do.my wife keeps hounding me to so im asking on here to see if id be wasting my time going in,and going to a doctor which i hate going
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to rule out cardiac problems

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Fluttering feeling in chest along with tingling sensation in body need further evaluation to rule out cardiac problems.
Cardiac arrhythmias can present with such symptoms. Cardiac arrhythmias can also be associated with coronary artery disease.
You will need an ECG as an initial evaluation. Depending on initial results exercise stress testing, 24 hour cardiac monitoring may also be warranted.

Please be advised to follow your primary care provider for further evaluation and management.

Meanwhile, limit coffee intake to 1-2 cups/day as excess caffeine can exaggerate these symptoms.
Please be advised to quit smoking and seek help if you feel you cannot do it on your own.

Hope this answers your question
Pleaseaddress further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal