What causes fluttering and pulsing in upper abdomen when diagnosed with MVP?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have mitral valve prolapse. I have normal heart rate but fluttering and pulsing in my upper abdomen. what causes this?

what is taking so long to answer my question
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

patients with mitral valve prolaps and a normal heart shouldn't worry about fluttering and pulsing on their upper stomach.

This symptoms are very common in these patients and are called palpitation. Appart from discomfort these palpitations will not cause any harm to you.

As a such you should stay calm and relaxed this will help to relieve your concerns and symptoms.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
p.s: If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again.

Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 18 hours later
I am being treated for anxiety disorder but a friend told me it could be a problem with my aorta. they are not in the medical profession, but I thought I'd ask you.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

If you would have any problems with your aorta it would have been seen on the echocardiogram. This is why you shouldn't worry about aorta.

Please keep in mind that stress may be the cause of / or may exacerbate your symptoms. This is why you should treat anxiety to relieve your symptoms.

Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu