question-icon

What causes fluttering across the chest wall, pain in the left shoulder blade, back, and migraine type headache?

Posted on Wed, 3 Oct 2018
Question: Yes...I'm 49 yo white male. Relatively good health. Last week I began experiencing fluttering across my chest wall at a rapid pace. It would last for about 4 seconds and stop. Did this for most of 1 day. That has since stopped. Sunday I began experiencing pain in my left shoulder blade and back. That has since stopped as well. Now today, Tuesday I'm having severe pain in my left jaw and left side of my neck; causing an almost migraine type headache.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

Cardiac insufficiency needs to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns.

These symptoms could be a sign of cardiac insufficiency which has lead to the refereed pain in one or both shoulders, jaw , back or neck, specially that you have experienced a flutter earlier, and if the pain increases with physical stress.

So I would recommend that you get the following tests done to either rule out or confirm cardiac insufficiency:

1. Stress ECG together with an echocardiogram,
2. Blood test for cardiac enzyme.

If cardiac insufficiency is ruled out then this pain could be due to migraine, tooth problem or trigeminal neuralgia.

I hope you find this helpful.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman