Owl Image

What causes flushing when taking niacin?

Question
I woke up with burning eyes, the skin on my face feels sun burned, something that happens to me when I get too much B vitamins and a very slight feeling of my kidneys being stressed. Though that has passed. My husband has fixed heavy on the cheese dishes three nights in a row, I've had a reaction the two nights he put beer or wine in the recipes. I'm guessing too much fat,salt or a reaction to yeast or folic acid. What do you think? I have allergies to penicillin and have the MFTH factor. Thank you.
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be allergy or excess vitamin B.

Detailed Answer:
The burning sensation that you are feeling can be related to too much of vitamin B or an allergy to cheese that you are having recently. Avoiding a high protein diet, any vitamin supplements and increasing your fluid intake will help in flushing away the excess vitamins.
You can have a high carbohydrate diet and juicy fruits.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal