What causes fluid sensation in ears and coughing up of green mucus?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Wed, 13 Jul 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have "fluid" sensations in both ears R greater than L, my ear pop when I swallow. I have been coughing up green mucus and overall feel fatigued. I was on a plane yesterday and have to fly again tonight. Should I seek out an urgent care? Is it o.k. to get on a plane tonight?

I have also taken antihistamine - benedryl last night and zytec this a.m.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upper respiratory tract infection, based on the information I feel you can travel

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
Since when you are experiencing this problem?
Is there any recent history of cold, sore throat, sinusitis.

Based on the information I feel you have upper respiratory tract infection(URTI) with sinusitis. Usually it is viral in nature and only require symptomatic treatment.

I would suggest you to drink plenty of water especially warm water. Salt warm water gargling three to four times a day. Steam inhalation with few drops of eucalyptus oil in it 3 to 4 times day. Nasal decongestant like otrivin will be beneficial. You can suck lozenge like strepsil or cofsil. Kindly take oral antihistamine like cetirizine, you should be fine.
Based on the information, I don't think there is any problem in traveling. If it persists after five days or if there is increase in the intensity of the symptoms I would suggest you to see local doctor.

Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D