What causes fluid leakage from the surgical location in the breast post mastectomy?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Lump
Question: My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer T2N0MO and operated almost 2 months back with quadrantectomy and axillary clearance. It was ER++ PR++ and HER2 --

She is now undergoing TC chemo 4 cycles and completed the second one a week back.

This question is on the fluid leakage from the surgical location in breast. Armpit surgery location is fine and completely healed.

Initial we were very afraid when we saw fluid coming out and immediately rushed her to the surgical oncologist and he inspected and said nothing to worry. We have almost taken her 3 times so far and every time the doctor said the same. They are telling it will eventually settle and no sign of infection at all.

Now everyday she is complaining about this leakage and we are just ignoring it.

My question is should we really be worried about this situation and take any action or it can be just ignored.

We are giving her Pegistm injection after each chemo and here WBC never came below 8 thou/ul. She don't have any fever also.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have done any cases of Mastectomy with axillary clearance.I regularly put a Suction drain beneath the surgical site.Even after removal of the drain,some amount of fluid will be coming from Breast scar or Axilla scar.Leak from the axilla will take more time to come down than the Breast scar.
The cut edges of the Breast tissue will be secreting fluid and it will be coming out.Nothing to worry. She should go for pressure bandage so that it stops gradually. If it is not possible,simple dressing can be done and it has to be changed regularly once it is wet.
As there is no fever and the discharge is not pus,there is no need of Antibiotic.
If the discharge is collected inside without coming out,chances of pus formation is more. So,it is better for the fluid to come out.
Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish her good health and speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy