What causes fluid filled lump in belly button area?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: I just noticed a small soft what feels to be fluid fill lump, about the size of a marble on the top part of my naval. It is slightly noticeable when looking at my naval. I think it may be a cysts, it is not pain full or tender. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Umbilical hernia.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach a photo of it? It will be much easier to give precise answer.

Lump in the bellybutton area is most likely an umbilical hernia. Cyst in this location is a rare thing.
As you have noticed it after physical activity, this makes hernia more possible. Physical activity is a known factor of hernia appearance.
You may palpate it as fluid filled cyst as it contains soft fatty tissues from the abdominal cavity.

The only way to fix umbilical hernia is a surgery. This is nothing urgent and you can wait with it, however physical activity will make it larger.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
if you can not see it let me know. wouldn't it be painful if it was a hernia?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is hernia.

Detailed Answer:
For 90% this is hernia. It does not have to be painful. Many people have hernia in this location and do not have any symptoms at all.
Please consult general surgeon.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon