What causes fluid filled blister on old scar?
Photo of blister that has formed over a 15 year old scar, what could cause this? And what should i do?
Request an Image
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.
I have taken note of your query and I wish to answer it to your satisfaction.
Blister on an old scar could be due to trauma Or due to a skin infection.
Unfortunately I have'nt recieved any Image. I would require an Image so that I am able to guide you better.
You may try to upload an Image either at "Reports Section" Or You may also mail me an Image at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line as 'Attn:Dr. Kakkar'.
Either puncture it under aseptic conditions Or leave it slone as it is
Hi. Thank you.
I apologize for some delay in my reply due to prior commitments.
I have reviewed the Images. Yes, it is a blister and it looks like it is filled with clear fluid. The reason it could have formed is likely secondary to trauma/ scratching/ rubbing etc.
There are 2 ways you can go about this.
1. If I was the treating doctor I would puncture it with a sterile needle and allow it to drain away. You may do this yourself but before puncturing I suggest that you clean the area with soap water and wash your hands thoroughly. Thereafter you may puncture it wth a STERILE NEEDLE, at its most dependent part and allow its fluid to drain away. Make sure you don't peel-off roof of blister as this would act as a sterile dressing.
Subsequently, you may use an OTC topical antibacterial e.g 2% mupirocin ointment, twice daily.
2. Alternatively, you may leave it, as it is, and just use a topical antibacterial ointment, twice daily.
However, if it keeps expanding then I would suggest you to go by step no. 1 i.e puncturing it with a sterile needle under aseptic conditions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Fluid filled blisters on calf
- What are fluid filled blisters on chest
- Fluid filled blistered skin
- Cluster of fluid filled blisters on penis
- Fluid filled blisters on my thumb
- Does hpv cause fluid filled blisters and swollen lymph nodes
- Fluid filled blisters causes
- Fluid filled blister on buttocks
- Diagnosis of Fluid filled blisters
- Fluid filled blister on anus
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body