• question-icon

What causes fluid discharge from ear?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I was very sick in Dec. was in hospital 3 days. Sinus and ears very infected. Did not hear out of right ear for 3 months. It has fluid in it again. This is more to my left ear fluid question. Like i said i have cipro drops for left ear. Now allergy season is here. But i still want to know what is this fluid coming out of my left ear with half an eardrum and is this normal for this much fluid to come out? This is more info to my original about my left ear.
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
otitis media, discharge is common symptom, see ENT specialist

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
It is difficult to comment on the discharge from your ear without examination. Based on the information provided by you, I feel you are having otitis media, I.e. infection on the middle ear. You have to undergo Otoscopic examination and cleaning of ear using dry cotton, and also to known the status of your ear drum.
To answer your question, fluid coming out is either pus or discharge as result of middle ear infection. As though have recurrence, it is advisable to do pus culture.

Now based on the information, you need a course of antibiotic, for this you have to see ENT specialist.
Till you visit a ENT specialist, I would recommend not to take head bath, avoid cleaning ear by yourself using ear bud.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Ashwini Kolur