• question-icon

What causes fluid build up in brain?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: What causes fluid build up or shunt malfunctions? Be in depth

I have had 3 brain operations for this reason just this month and 5 last year for this shunt function
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Obstruction and infection of shunt.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for continuing the conversation with me.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Fluid build up in brain or hydrocephalus has several causes that include premature birth in pediatric population, ventricular hemorrhage infection, tumors of the brain that narrow cerebrospinal fluid pathways and subarachnoidal hemorrhage in all ages.

The cause is probably scarring of subarachnoidal tissue and decreased absorption of cerebrospinal fluid.

Shunt malfunction is caused by valve or catheter obstruction, shunt infection and under or over drainage.

In all these cases of shunt malfunction, a correct diagnosis is needed and shunting revision surgery is needed.

For example, over or under drainage may be corrected by placing a programmable valve.

If shunt infection is there then temporary external drainage of cerebrospinal fluid is needed and replacement of shunt hardware after a successful treatment with antibiotics of the infection.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 21 hours later
how long would the hospital stay be if there was an infection in the shunt?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
No exact time frames.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for being on follow up.

There are no exact time frames about the duration of hospitalization after shunt infection, it is necessary to remove the shunt, to put an external ventricular drainage, to treat the infection with i.v. antibiotics until cerebrospinal fluid is found sterile and to replace a new shunt after this.

These procedures may take up to one month in hospitalization.

Hope I helped you.

Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical