What causes fluctuations in blood sugar levels?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have a question. I recently had some hypoglycemia incidents and cut out sugar and white flour. Most of the time it seems my sugar is in range but for example, today I ate about 3 bites of a sugary dessert for the first time in over a month and I felt weird after it and checked my sugar. It read 401 about 20 min or so after eating the dessert. I was going out for a walk anyway so I did and 3 minutes after that high reading, I checked it again and it was 120. That's happened once or twice before when I check very early after eating and it's high then I check a few minutes later and it comes down. Is that normal or am I insulin resistant?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not normal;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.

Normally, the blood sugar should not be over 140 mg/dl.

These high levels followed by hypoglycemia, are suggestive of irregular secretion of insulin form pancreas, usually preceding Diabetes.

Anyway, 3 min is a very short time to for such huge changes in blood sugar.

If you have any risk factor for type 2 Diabetes (family history, obesity, physical inactivity, sedentary lifestyle etc.) you should monitor HbA1C level closely and do a glucose tolerance test i.e. OGT test once yearly.

If the blood sugar reaches these high levels (400 mg/dl), it should modify HbA1C level, otherwise something is wrong with the glucometer.

Hope I have answered your query. Feel free to ask further.
Best wishes,
Dr:Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 33 minutes later
Thank you. Is it possible the meter was just wrong?

I have no risk factors except my dad and his dad both had it and recently my cortisol levels have been highly elevated due to anxiety and stress. I heard cortisol disrupts insulin?

My fasting levels are always below 100 and i rarely have a 2 hour post meal above 120.

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep monitoring the Hba1c level and blood glucose:

Detailed Answer:
As you have positive family history for type 2 Diabetes, than you should monitor HbA1c level, fasting and postprandial glucose levels once a year.
Meanwhile, try to be physically active and not to put on weight.
Regarding to cortisol level, it may raise the blood glucose but constantly.
As long as the above mentioned tests are within the normal ranges, you should not get worried.

Hope i have been helpful.

Kind regards,
dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana