• question-icon

What causes fluctuations in blood pressure level?

Posted on Wed, 23 Jul 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been checking my blood pressure for the last 48 hours since I randomly had a high reading at home on an arm cuff machine. I have used 3 different machines to confirm accuracy. My readings range from 133/90 (the lowest of 10 readings taken since yesterday) - 144/95 (highest). I am a 33 year old male, 5'11" tall, and 190 lbs. I have no known health problems. I work in small/tight attics at 115 degree heat 5 days a week in Florida and drink almost 1 gallon of water every day. How concerning is my blood pressure? Could long term daily heat exposure have anything to do with it?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Long term heat exposure has nothing to do with it

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these various blood pressure readings and the inconveniences that this has caused you. Your blood pressure readings, though not at the ideal number are not too much of a worry for me right now. Blood pressure readings are often taken in a well rested state of mind and physical activity. I do not think you have fulfilled these conditions because how concerned you are about your blood pressure numbers means there is a non negligible level of anxiety each time you are hooked to the cuff and that alone would make the readings to be higher than usual and not very representative.

For now, I will recommend that you stop measuring your blood pressure daily. Feel relaxed and get it controlled sometime in future, say in 4weeks in a well relaxed state. If the values are still higher than 140/90mmHG, then talk to your doctor for a more detailed evaluation.

Regular physical exercise, decreased salt intake, decreased fats consumption, no smoking and decreased alcohol consumption are very helpful in maintaining a normal blood pressure reading and staying healthy.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarification if need be.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah