What causes fluctuations in CEA levels while having colon cancer?

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Cancer
Question: I had colon cancer surgery in March 2016. There were 12 out of 37 lymph nodes that showed cancer following surgery. I elected to have immunotherapy as an alternative to chemotherapy. My CEA after immunotherapy at the end of May was 3.5. On July 1st my CEA was 3.7. I just had the CEA takend last Friday, August 5th and it was 4.0. Does this mean that the cancer has returned or is somewhere else in my body?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Serially increasing CEA levels indicate recurrence consult your oncosurgeon

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your health query here.

The CEA levels that are increasing over time after immunotherapy indicate a recurrence of the cancer. It could be in the same area or it could be at a different site. This can be best identified with the help of a PET scan. Kindly consult with your treating oncosurgeon and follow her/his advice.

Wishing you good health and good luck.

Warm regards.