What causes fluctuations in BP?

Posted on Wed, 21 Jun 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi,

My BP fluctuates between 130/140 to 80/90. i do monitor it using a home monitor. Sometimes it drops to 120/80 too. I do not smoke. i do not drink alcohol. No history of heart disease in my family. I get stressed out when i try to measure BP. I have started yoga, walking and Pranayama. Does the BP rise during ovulation?Do I have BP?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No you dont have bP problem

Detailed Answer:
Hello Maam

After going through the medical query i understand your concern and i would like to tell you that after knowing the blood pressure readings of yours i would like to tell you that you do not have any bp problem. The normal recommended range for an adult blood pressure is less than 140/90 mmHg.

Its you anxiety which is bothering you so stop worrying you are all fine and just maintain healthy lifestyle habits as you are doing taking low salt diet.

No ovulation do not affect blood pressure much.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the reply. Only sometimes the BP goes beyond 140, is this a concern. Don't understand why and how I developed the phobia for BP. I do regular yoga (5 days) and Pranayama (all 7 days). Stress is a major concern to me. How do I handle this. Too many times i check my BP. Is this also a concern?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are just thinking about it too much

Detailed Answer:
Stop checking your blood pressure again and again as it will give you more stress and unnecessarily your blood pressure will rise due to tension.

Be positive in yourself, think good and dont let negative thoughts occupy your mind. Along with yoga do meditation also that will help you control your anxiety.

Believe in yourself that you are all healthy. A healthy mind is very important to have a healthy body.

I hope this information will help you think in a positive way. You can ask me back if you have any other doubts.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist