• question-icon

What causes fluctuations in BP readings?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am suffering frequent BP changes the BP is sometimes coming as to be 40/60 and sometime it is coming as 70/110 from today
Please advise if this is a serious conditions or these fluctuations in BP are normal
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These fluctuations are not normal

Detailed Answer:
Firstly, do you get any symptoms during the episodes of low bp. Because, bp of 60/40 is very low and this bp, you should be very much symptomatic like dizziness, shortness of breath, drowsiness and you won't be able to even sit. It'ss unlikely for a normal person to have such low bp. So possibility of false reading is very high in this situation. So you should reconfirm your bp, because a position like bent elbow or sometimes low bp in one arm due to diseased artery may give false readings.
If these episodes are accompanied by symptoms as well, then you should stop taking atenolol as it causes low bp. In this situation, higher bp of 140/90 is acceptable. Low bp is more worrisome than high bp. Monitor bp frequently every 2-3 hourly and make a chart for better interpretation.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts or more information to share.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist