• question-icon

What causes fluctuation in platelet count in blood?

Posted on Mon, 15 Feb 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hematologist been watching low white cell count for years. Lately my platelets have gone down. Last month white cell count was 1.7, today it is 1.5. My platelet count last month was 105, today it is 90. What could be causing this? Also, when i was younger I had Espstein-Barr virus. I have been told it stay in your system forever. Could that be a factor?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The variation in white blood cell count and platelet count is acceptable.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

The variation in the white blood cell count and the platelet count is acceptable.

There is practically no difference between two values of both white blood cell count and platelets.

The variation observed is due to inherent variation of any parameter done on two different occasions.

However, the cause for low white blood cell count and platelets needs to be known.

Epstein Barr virus can recur if you have suffered from its infection in the past.

You may share your other relevant past history to know the cause of low white blood cell count and low platelet count.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist