What causes fluctuating WBC count?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Hi

I have had fluctuating WBC for a few years now. I work for a Doctor and he keeps tabs on it. Ithas been as high as 16 and then came down to 11 recently. I have a lot of aches and pains. But I am 68 years old. I checked my urine and there was an infection so I took a Ab for 20 days. But this fluctuating WBC has been happing for so long. I saw a hematologist 2 years ago and took test for lupus leukemia and other test nothing showed up. Said to come back if continues and we might have to do a bone marrow test., But, l never went back. I had an ANA done came up positive I will have to see a Rheumatologist for that but I know that sometime this comes up false positive. The thing that bothers me is that I am very stiff muscle stiffness. I have a back problem Stenosis and pinched nerve L4 L5 I am seeing a Dr for my back. Could the stiffness be a problem from the WBC being up and down Thank You
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details written below

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
Based on the information, I think you should also consult your Rheumatologist at the earliest. The test for Rheumatoid factor may come false positive. But, I don't think the diagnosis of a specialist in rheumatology based on clinical examination and tests would be false positive. Furthermore, initiation of an early treatment would prevent further systemic damage and improve your survival. For the preservation of your renal function too, an early diagnosis and prompt treatment is needed.

I would suggest you to have the following tests done too at the earliest-
1. Urine for routine examination and culture-sensitivity testing
2. Ultrasound scan of the KUB region
3. Complete blood count, CRP, urea, creatinine, electrolytes, LFT

For the time being my recommendations are-
1. Tab Paracetamol 500 mg as and when required for fever, at min. 6 hr interval
2. Cap Bevon- One cap once daily for 10 days.
3. Plenty of oral fluid and ORS- 3 to 4 l/ day
4. Light diet rich in fiber and green leafy vegetables.
Please write back with above mentioned information for further evaluation.
If you think I have satisfactorily resolved your query, please close the thread & rate my answer.
In case you have any new query in future, you can directly ask me questions @ http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-kaushik-sarkar/68460. I will try my level best to help you.
Dr. Kaushik
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D