• question-icon

What causes fluctuating BP and loss of consciousness?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: to Dr Olsi Taka if possible. I spoke with him last on 3-15-2016. If not can you refer to it?
I am experiencing some blood pressure fluctuations... normal is around 130/85.. this morning upon wakening it was 153/78 which is unusual for me. I am going to monitor it morning and noon and evening now to see if perhaps that could be the loss of consciousness and falling. What causes fluctuation? I do take medication for it Losartin tablets of 25 mg and HCTZ 12.5 capsules...thank you.... XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again! Thank you for your confidence in me.

Blood pressure may undergo some fluctuations in many people. Causes can be many may be stress and anxiety, stimulants like coffee, pain due to other health issues etc, at times no cause may be discernible. Gabapentin has an antianxiety effect. It may be that its lowering may make you more anxious for a few days.

While it is higher than normal, that 153/78 value is not alarming. I do not think it is the cause of falls. Usually falls are due to low blood pressure actually. High blood pressure may cause loss of consciousness in the form of seizures but at much higher values than that, usually preceded by other symptoms headache, visual changes, nausea etc. So I do not think that high blood pressure is the cause.

That value is higher than normal but shouldn't rush to increasing treatment dosage, not at that value and for one single measurement. For now you should check it daily and keep a diary of the values for the coming days. Remember that it is not evaluated after physical activity, should allow for about 5 minutes of rest before measuring it, shouldn't measure it after drinking coffee. If during the coming week there are several elevated values over 140/90 than a change in therapy may be required.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 5 hours later
I thank you very much.. shall take advice and keep it monitored... thanks for your time.... XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your appreciative words.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist