What causes flatulence, bloating, cough and periodic diarrhea?
I'm a 60 year old male, 5'10 and 155 lbs; in pretty good health with no cardio issues.
I have had an ongoing (for 6 months) fairly sudden and substantial increase in flatulence, plus bloated stomach, and coughing due to stomach gas, as well as periodic diarrhea. No heart burn or similar throat symptoms though. I have been checked for the more common parasites and these were negative...
Thanks for your help.
Hello and thank you for your question.
It is a concerning problem to have an increase in flatulence and periodic diarrhea. There are several possible causes for this. One is that the normal bacteria in your gut have been shifted and so you do not have the normal bacteria that help you with digestion. Another cause is too much stomach acid which can cause your symptoms. Another is lactose intolerance which may develop at any age. A more concerning condition would be inflammatory bowel disease.
I suggest you try first adding a probiotic (supplement) to your diet daily and stopping all dairy. If this is not successful try taking an antacid and see if that helps. If none of this helps you may need to see a gastroenterologist to get a colonoscopy to evaluate you for inflammatory bowel disease.
I hope you get some relief soon,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes excessive flatulence
- What causes flatulence problems
- Flatulence and bloating using buscopan flygyl and ciproflouxacine help
- What causes bad flatulence
- What causes stomach pain diarrhea and flatulence smell
- What causes extreme flatulence
- Causes of flatulence and bloating
- Flatulence bloating constipation stomach pain taken paracetamol cause of worry
- Smelly flatulence causes of flatulence
- What causes flatulence
- What causes gas, stomach gurgling and fullness in upper chest?
- Is it not safe to have Amoxicillin for heart murmur?
- Suggest treatment for constipation and tenderness on the sides
- Suggest treatment for Angioedema and severe swelling in limbs and face
- Suggest treatment for soft stool
- What causes hair loss?
- Suggest treatment for fever, sore throat, cough and diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for severe pain due to arthritis in spine and both hands
- Can Requip and Sinemet be taken together?
- What causes gritty, white discharge during urination?