question-icon

What causes flatulence and severe stomachache after eating candy?

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018
Question: I have a sharp pain in my stomach and I am constantly passing gas. It started when I ate a piece of candy...
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Phazyme / Simethicone

Detailed Answer:

I assume you do not have risk factors towards heart disease like High BP, Diabetes, High cholesterol.
If yes, you seem to have intolerance to carbohydrate esp sucrose. Right now you can take Simethicone e.g Phazyme till the gas is relieved and you get pain relief. Activated charcoal is also good. You can ask your local pharmacist if there is a combination drug with both Simethicone (relieves pain by breaking the gas bubbles) and Activated charcoal (helps absorbs gas).

If you have any risk factors towards heart disease or having similar complaints in the past I suggest to see a local physician to rule out serious issues.

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam