What causes flashes of light and black dots in the line of vision?

Ophthalmologist
Question
About 2.5 weeks ago, I first saw some a tiny but very black dot in my left eye when I would move my head. That quickly went away in about 10 minutes but at that point I started have flashes of light in that eye. I sat down and it went away and I did not experience flashes until 2 days later. At that point I went to my optometrist who did a regular full exam, dilated eyes and looked in my eyes with a bright light. Also a photo of my eye and visual field test. She felt like my eyes were really dry, she saw no tears but said it could be strain or potential something that happens with the vitreous. After several days, I decided to see an ophthalmologist who did the same type of exam and said she saw no tears in the retina or vitreous at all but diagnosed it officially as vitreous synthesis and said that at some point likely within 10 years there could be a retinal detachment.
She was super nice and professional, however I feel like with just those minimal test and a unique inflammatory medical background, I really wonder if it could be something else. I have had
Adult onset stills disease for 27 years and vasculitis for 12. I also had a bout of psoriasis about 6 years ago. I am having similar although very mild nerve pain on a nerve root where I had two bouts of shingles about 8 years ago. The flashes has moved out of my lower eye only occurring on the side now and the floaters are much much better. I never go for additional opinions (have been with my rheumatologist for 30 years) but something about this tells me to go to a retinal specialists for all available tests. My eye feels irritated and mildly (very) swollen or inflamed, although not a ton of redness. Do you think there is any possibility it could be a strange inflammation situation?
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are floaters, degenerative bodies from retina floating in vetrious.

Detailed Answer:
They are overconscientious degenerative bodies from retina in vetrious. Ophthalmoscopy is to be done preferabily by indirect ophthalmoscope for wider field. It is not to be examined by optometrist but by ophthalmologist flashes of light indicate irritation of nerve head. Regarding floaters there is no treatment and they can be only kept under observation. There is a chance of peripheral detachment. Consult retina surgeon for examination and he may decide about photo coagulation to seal the detachment. What you are thinking is auto-immune disorder that can produce uveitis resulting in aqueous flare effecting visual acuity. Limited use of steroid is required which is to be tapered. Retina specialist is to be consulted.

Follow-up: What causes flashes of light and black dots in the line of vision? 4 days later
Thank you very much for your response. I was able to see a retinal specialist who did a thorough examination and feels very strongly that there are no tears in either the vitreous or the Retina. He said that the symptoms seemed like something with the vitreous however he truly did not see anything wrong with it at this time. He said that he doesn't want to watch it and see me each month for a while to see how I'm progressing with the symptoms and to look at the vitreous again however, he feels that it could be something more "electrical". He invites me to return before the month if I had an increase in symptoms. I was really glad that there were no tears or huge issues with the vitreous but I was wondering what other types of nerve problems would happen to people that would cause the symptoms of the flashes and floaters as to me electrical with me nerve? I will certainly ask him more questions next month however I think I was so relieved at new tears in the retina or vitreous that I didn't probably ask as many questions as I should have. Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
his advise for review after one month is correct.

Detailed Answer:
his advise is correct. what it means is followup is required if floaters increases then there is strong indication of degenerative problem rightly he an be taken for laser aplication for sealing the detachment. it can be be electrical with new tears and hole swatch is to be continued.