What causes flashes in the field of vision after injury?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: i got hit by a cricket ball last month, i went to ophthalmologist on the second day of injury she prescribed my some anti inflammatory eye drops( cyclogyl, prednefrin forte) i used cyclogyl for one week and prednefrin for 4 weeks, now i am not using any drops, i am experiencing some flashes in my eye and i went to two different retina specialist and they said there is no retinal tear , but i have been experiencing some moving pressure in my forehead, it feel like a wave moving as i move my eye....i am just worried about it i am just wondering whether steroid drops cause this pressure because i have used them for 4 weeks...
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steroid is potent anti inflammatory.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The vitreous humour is the gel-like ball inside the eye. Most children and young people do not see floaters, but due to injury, bits of debris are discarded by the vitreous humour or retina that causes protein (connective tissue) to be released.Swelling and inflammation in the eye, caused by injury causes eye floaters. deposits,crystal-like deposits may form in the vitreous and interfere with light passing from the front of the eye to the back.

If retinal examination is normal.Don't worry just wait and watch for inflammation to settle down in few weeks.

As per your query no steroid will help in the condition as they are very potent anti inflammatory.I would suggest you to take oral anti inflammatory like diclofenac in combination with seratipeptidase for a few days and see if pressure change is relieved.A CT scan of Head should also be done.

Thanks
Follow up with reports.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 24 minutes later
2 days ago i went to retina specialist he said there is no inflammation in your eye and eye pressure was 16,17 but because of this pressure it has become hard for me to even sleep,

one thing more , should i go to retina specialist again ?? because last time doctor said now you should get your eye checked after 6 month but flashes are not going away but they have been reduced...
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Increased pressure in eye can be because of inflammation as a result of injury also.As the things are not settling down,I would advice you to go for one more complete eye check up.If pressure in eye is high diuretics like diamox can be given to provide symptomatic relief.
Folow up with reports.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad