What causes flaring up of interstitial cystitis after using Canesten cream?

Excellent
Question
Hi, I have severe interstitial cystitis and also have severe vaginal itiching. I thought it was an on going yeast infection and have been using the Canesten cream and tablets. Unfortunately my bladder has severly flared up and is not subsiding, I`m wondering if that`s from the Canesten cream and tablets. Also I`m not sure if I really do have yeast infections or not.
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to Canestan cream.

Detailed Answer:
The flaring up of interstitial cystitis can be due to an allergic reaction to the ingredients of Canesten cream. The inflammation should subside after stopping the further use of cream.
To confirm the vaginal infection it is best to get a vaginal swab culture done. Metronidazole or Clindamycin and Fluconazole orally are highly effective to treat this type of condition. If you are sexually active, then your partner also needs one course of antibiotic. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist or healthcare provider for complete prescription.
Prebiotics and probiotics (containing Lactobacillus) are also effective to maintain NORMAL vaginal flora and pH and prevent vaginal itching.
It is also important to keep your private parts scrupulously clean. Trimming your pubic hair, not using any soap to wash your vagina and keeping the area clean and dry will help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes flaring up of interstitial cystitis after using Canesten cream? 22 minutes later
Thanks so much for the info. If I don`t use soap to wash the vaginal area, what do I use? Also what is causing the severe itiching in the vaginal (clitoris) area?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vagisil wash can be used.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing again.
To wash your vagina you can use Vagisil vaginal wash or Intiwash.
This will help in maintaining a healthy vaginal pH.
The severe itching can be due to an infection or dryness in the area. You can also use a soothing aloe vera gel in the area.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.