• question-icon

What causes flare ups of osteoarthritis despite taking Methylprednisolone?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been getting shots for arthitis for years every three months. It has always worked fine. The last time he gave me methylpredniso. It really seems to make me feel bad. It is time for another shot but need to know what was wrong
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steroid shots are not for long term use.

Detailed Answer:
Steroid shots if taken regularly can cause side effects like bone thinning and ligament tears. These do reduce inflammation for some time but do not reverse the disease process. in case of severe osteoarthritis hyaluronic acid injections and joint lubricant supplements should be tried.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon