What causes flaky white scales on the eyes?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I relocated from XXXXXXX to XXXXXXX last summers. this was a big change in weather for me an din winters I saw some white dead skin appearing just below my eyes. I applied cold creams and oils assuming its normal dryness. Winters has gone but still i see some dry skin just below my eyes and some dead skin appearing. And also behind my right ear there is a dry patch has developed. I have been applying coconut oil from few days but its still not healing. Please can you suggest some ointment or cream that i can buy OTC
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis; I suggest moderately potent topical steroid for a wk

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have taken note of your query and I have gone through the details.

I suggest a possibility of seborrheic dermatitis, judging from the distribution (face and retroauricular areas) and the the fact that the skin is dry and flaky.

Moisturizing creams and oil's won't help much.

I suggest you to apply a moderately potent topical steroid e.g fluticasone propionate 0.05% cream Or triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% cream, twice daily for a week. These would work very well for you.

Moderately potent topical steroids such as these are not available over the counter. These are prescription steroids and they are absolutely safe for use on face.

Nevertheless, you may try to find one of these topical steroids from a drug store near you.

Alternatively, you may also use an OTC topical steroid like 1% hydrocortisone cream, however it is the mildest of all topical steroids and may take longer than a week to show effect.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist