What causes fits and paranoia?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Feb 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: My brother is developmentally disabled at times he has fits of rage and paranoia and blames other people he is also deaf was born to a mother who contracted German measles in vetro. My parents are in their seventy's I'm worried for them .
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medications and counselling would help.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your brother's symptoms and past medical history.

There seems to have been partial damage to his brain during the development period (during pregnancy). This can be confirmed by doing a brain MRI, if not already done.

Treatment would consist of medications such as olanzapine to calm him and reduce his rage/paranoia.

Counselling by a psychologist would also help.

Also, an EEG should be done to exclude seizures.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 43 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX MD,
For your time and medical advice. We will be working with developmental disability health organizations And I hope to get some answerers soon. I know he has C R S Congenital Rubella syndrome.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I would be pleased to be of help in future too. Please keep me informed about the progress.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)