• question-icon

What causes fingertip numbness?

Posted on Mon, 6 Oct 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Is there a way to tell if fingertip numbness is caused from carpal tunnel or caused from a bone spur in neck?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes ,by doing nerve conduction test

Detailed Answer:

I'm Dr. Sudhir Kumar,

After going through your query I want to say that there are clinically two signs to distinguish between numbness is caused from carpal tunnel or caused from a bone spur in neck

1.Tinel's sign test

Your doctor taps on the inside of your wrist over the median nerve. If you feel tingling, numbness, "pins and needles," or a mild "electrical shock" sensation in your hand when tapped on the wrist, you may have carpal tunnel syndrome.

2.Phalen's sign test

You hold your arms out in front of you and then flex your wrists, letting your hands hang down for about 60 seconds. If you feel tingling, numbness, or pain in the fingers within 60 seconds, you may have carpal tunnel syndrome.

Investigation:-
By nerve conduction test you can surely determine it. In carpal tunnel syndrome nerve velocity will be decreased distal to wrist while due to spur in neck it is decreased from neck to hand.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Orthopaedic Surgeon