What causes finger pain during urination?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 16 Feb 2016 in General Health
Question: What causes pain in the fingers during urination?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no relation to urination

Detailed Answer:

there is no anatomical or functional connection between the fingers and urination. This kind of pain has to be related to other conditions. Do you only feel this pain when urinating? When straining for any reason (defecation, lifting weight, etc) do you also feel pain?

Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 36 hours later
Only when urinating. And apparently I am not alone - google gives me many other examples of people who experience this.
When I was in XXXXXXX last week, and asked a doctor about it, this doctor told me it indicated a deficiency of vitamins D and B.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there is no information in medical literature

Detailed Answer:
I see... Unfortunately there is no information about this symptom in medical literature (at least not something I could find). Such "atypical" symptoms are sometimes related to anxiety. I can assure you that there is no neural connection between the bladder and the fingers, so anatomically there is no explanation.

Regarding the vitamin deficiencies, it's the first time that I've read that D or B (any of Bs) may cause such a symptom, so I cannot confirm it. I can't exclude it either but I have the feeling that this piece of "knowledge" cannot be found in medical textbooks... I've read a lot of them until now and I've never come across such a symptom.

Google searches is not a very credible way to seek medical information, unless you have the knowledge and experience to filter the results. It's easy to find out though, particularly for vitamin D. You can measure its levels with a simple blood test. You can also use vitamin B supplements to see what happens. Vitamins of the B complex are safe to use unless you take more than the recommended daily dose. It's not the same for vitamin D, so you'd better measure it first.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 minutes later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Glad to help!