What causes fibroids to grow after menopause?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 20 Apr 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Thank you for your concern
I really appreciate it .
I haven't made any decisions yet. So far I am still fine. However, one thing that im concern about is if i dont do the surgery will the fibroid grow even larger?
Thank you doctor. God bless.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
They grow smaller after menopause.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
It is so nice to hear from you.
You are a very kind person, and I feel very special when you write in.
Thank you for that.
Okay, so for your question.
After menopause, fibroids are only likely to shrink.
Very big fibroids will not disappear, but they mostly reduce in size.
This is because fibroids are hormone dependent.
After menopause, when the hormone levels come down, the growth of the tumours slows down and regresses.
The pain and discomfort associated with fibroids also reduces.
So , if you got the hormone levels to assess menopausal status, then you can have a hope that the fibroids will not grow any longer.
You should have 3 monthly scanning however.
God bless you too.
Write in whenever you feel the need to do so.