What causes fever, severe abdominal cramps and persistent vomiting?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am writing to you on my last 9 days. I do not like to take any drug and try to heal with natural remedies. I consider myself very healthy except with a digestive problem and I have been taking Betaine & pepsin to control it and i thought it has. I have a thyroid problem but taking T3 for it. I am also border line diabetic - I am not over weight maybe by 10 pounds. I bike 20 miles a day several times a week and very active in other sports.

Friday July 4th - I got up feeling great! I went to bathroom at 10 am and had explosive diarrhea (very foul smelling and orange looking) this continued for the next 3 days. No fever or headache - It was like I would eat something and it went right though me including water. I did have a stomach pain in one spot right in the middle of my abdomen and it was constant. Not a sharp pain but enough to bother me. The night before we had salmon from the grill and veggies, the broccoli was a little old and yellow but I washed it good and it seemed ok.
The week - Month before that I have been feeling great!!!! Better than I have felt in years!!!

Saturday July 5th - I still had loose stools and pain in stomach. Tried taking DGL Ultra by enzymatic it is deglycyrrhizinated Licorice, for digestive relief. That didn't help. Felt really tired I started throwing up too so I couldn't keep anything down. This has happened before but always with my migraines.
I took pepto bismol and it didn't help but the date on it was very old. This turned my bowel movement black.

Sunday July 6th - Still no better but now I was getting a running nose and sneezing - a head cold but no fever. Soo tired. My husband went to store and bought imodium ID. I took that and it seemed to help. But now really sick with the flu, running nose, coughing so bad I thought i was going to rupture something in my chest. Coughing up mucus.

Monday July 7th thu Friday 11th- Bad cold no energy and no appetite. I would have to make myself eat. I did make chicken soup and had that all week and for lunch I would make protein powder drinks with fruits and veggies. I just figure it was a bad flu and I just needed time to heal. I tried taking ADP oregano it would just sit in my stomach and give me indigestion. I tried papaya tablets to calm my stomach because it always seemed like I was going to throw up - real acidity. But all week no diarrhea, more constipated. But I wasn't eating very much. I only took 2 tablets of Imodium ID and that was last Sunday. I was trying to take my vitamins and it seemed that the betaine & pepsin was bothering me so I cut them back from 3 to 1 or 2 then stop taking them.

Saturday July 12th - Woke up feeling ok still running nose and tired but I had explosive diarrhea again. No appetite all day. Feeling sick to stomach but never threw up.

Sunday July 13th - No appetite made myself eat some eggs and half of piece of toast. Watery stools again worse than yesterday. Still feel nausea. But no stomach pain. Just the feel like heart burn not its not.

So as you can see I have been sick going on 10 days. Please let me know if this is just a bug and I just need to give it more time? Or do I need to go to the Dr for some test? I plan to take some more Imodium ID today but it seems weird that the diarrhea is back after 7 days? My cold is getting better but just so tired and no appetite. I am sure I am very dehydrated!
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be a serious infection...

Detailed Answer:

Apologies for the late reply... I went through the detais with diligence and through out the whole script I was trying to find out if you have fever, severe abdominal cramps and persistent vomiting. Though you mentioned these symptoms, it was not consistent and therefore I wan't bothered much.

It does seem like you are suffering with a flu which is taking some time to resolve. Since they lasted over a week, I would order routine tests - a blood count and stool tests just to make sure I don't miss something odd. You can call up your primary doctor and plan the means to get the tests.

In the meanwhile, you can continue peptobismol (fresh ones, not old stock). Add pre and probiotics including yoghurts in your diet. Keep up hydration with plenty of fluids and electrolyte solutions. Prefer to avoid imodium unless it is absolutely needed.

Frankly I did not find your symptoms as very concerning. Let your doctors perform an general examination to check if I am right.

Hope it helped. Let me know if you need clarifications.