• question-icon

What causes fever post treatment for chest infection?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: My son having Chest infect, he was admitted hosp, given IV antibiotic, he was dischage after 4 days.
After two days he again have fever what will be the reason
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 15 minutes later
possibility that the infection is not under controlled yet, or the course of meds is not adequate. I suggest to re consult and inform the treating CONSULATANT again.
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 17 hours later
I have attached the latest blood report, please suggest the possible cause of problems.
Earlier after 5 days of hispitalisation he was OK and reports are also notmal.
Last 36hours he again have high fever with shiviring
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Another course of antibiotics needs to be given

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again for asking on Healthcaremagic. Thanks for attaching the reports. I have gone through them. The WBC count is on the higher side and the neurophil count is raised, thus indicating the possibility of a bacterial infection. The elevated CRP confirms the same. This infection would need to be treated with antibiotics. It is likely that the dose of antibiotics has not been enough to control the infection and hence the fever has recurred. Since the attached reports are very recent (yesterday's), I would insist for another course of antibiotics, preferably with a different one. If the child is active and fine oral antibiotics should suffice.

There is also a possibility of co-infection and I would insist you to get his blood tested for malaria parasite. Usually chills and rigors are present in conditions like malaria or urinary tract infection. The urine reports are ok and so malaria is the next thing to be excluded.

I would like to know if blood culture had been done when the blood was tested.

Give paracetamol or acetaminophen to bring down te temperature. Also give tepid sponging.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician