What causes fever in a hemiplegic?
My father - 71, hemiplegic for 13 years following brain surgery to remove benign tumour of the hypophysis - became partially paralised following surgery. For the past month, he has been registering constant, asymptomatic low-grade temperature, 99-99.6. He was prescribed antibiotics (3 courses already - currently on Keforal) but nothing changes. What could be the reason for this temperature, especially as it only manifests itself in the morning? Is it very dangerous and could it be a threat to his neurological chemistry. It's very hot in Italy where he lives, and would it be better if he went to the mountains, where it's a bit cooler? Thanks.
Need to confirm/rule out infection first
Hello sir/ma'am and welcome.
Thank you for writing to us.
I have gone through your query with diligence and shall help you as much as I can.
There are quite a few causes for fever (of unexplained origin) in a hemiplegic most of which are certainly infectious. But I would like to start by pointing out a few non-infectious causes like:
-Necrosis of tissues taking place somewhere in the body
As you can see both these causes are quite serious. So in my opinion, it would be best to conduct a complete blood count for your father, to confirm or rule out infection. If at all infection is ruled out, non-infectious causes need to be considered.
If at all infection is confirmed, then doing a culture would certainly help us to further diagnose and find the cause for his daily rise in temperature. Please schedule an appointment with his doctor at the earliest.
As for relocating him, I do not think this would help him as of now. Let us first rule out the worst so we can assume lighter causes like weather sir/ma'am.
I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes low oxygen and fever
- What causes instant headache with fever
- What causes fever in children
- What causes instant fever
- What is the cause for fever with shivers
- What causes fever in toddlers
- What causes typhoid fever
- What causes a sudden fever
- What is the cause of brain fever
- What causes hay fever
- Not getting proper sleep, don't want to take sleeping pills. What to take?
- Radiation done for tongue cancer. Started getting pain. How to overcome...
- How to get rid of swollen and painful inner labia?
- Have bradycardia. Got positive stress test and qrs-t angle on ekg. Risk...
- Suffering from chronic acute bronchitis and recurrent pneumonitis. Safe...
- Hard bump appeared on inner thigh and lower abdomen. What could be...
- Have severe dry eye. On Restasis. Used moisture pads. Nothing helped....
- Have osteoporosis. Is it safe to stop taking fosomax while on calcium...
- Sudden pop sound in back. Experiencing pain and hot flashes. Took...
- Suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar 2. Why am I...