What causes fever, fatigue and sore throat?

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: Son has had a fever for about a week...at night....101 degrees...also fatigue, sore throat...23 yo

Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Viral flu

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
According to your history your son might be having viral flu due to climatic changes.
As it is viral no need of antibiotics.
Viral infections are selflimiting. It takes its own time to resolve.It usually associated with fatigue,bodyache and in few indivisuals joint pain.
He can just take Tab Levocitrezine for cold and dry cough and Tab Paracetamol for fever , fatigue and body ache.
If he has cough with sputum,you may need to take antibiotics due to secondary bacterial infections, then you can take tab Azithromycin once daily for 3 days.
As it is prescription based drug, you need to meet local doctor for the same.
Ask your son to follow below instruction
Take rest until you recover
Drink plenty of water(preferably filtered /boiled)
Have soft,easily digestible food.
Include fresh vegetables and fruits in your diet
Avoid out side, oily ,non veg food.

If you have any doubt, you are welcome.

Dr Priyanka G Raj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka G Raj 8 hours later
mono-spot was positive.

He has infectious mononucleosis
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
symptomatic treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
In most cases of infectious mononucleosis , no specific treatment is necessary. The illness is usually self-limited and passes much the way other common viral illnesses resolve.
Treatment is directed toward the relief of symptoms and signs. Available antiviral drugs have no significant effect on the overall outcome of mono and may actually prolong the course of the illness.
So follow the above medication which i have already prescribed.

Dr Priyanka G Raj