What causes fever, cough and sore throat after using Restylane fillers?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, Not sure if you are able to answer my question as its more of a cosmetic one. I had restylane dermal filler for my laughter lines on Tuesday. This may be a coincidence but i have come down with a high temp coughing and sore throat. I have been to my Dr and have antibiotics. I have started to worry that this is caused by the restylane. I have no redness or swelling at the site of injection.

Many thanks XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation and gurgling with lukewarm water

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

Let me assure you that restylane would not give you the sore throat and cough. Rather, it is more likely to be due to a viral infection. Antibiotics do not help and irrespective of treatment it usually takes 5-7 days to resolve. Steam inhalation and gurgling with lukewarm water are the mainstay of treatment.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D