What causes fever, cough and sore throat after using Restylane fillers?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, Not sure if you are able to answer my question as its more of a cosmetic one. I had restylane dermal filler for my laughter lines on Tuesday. This may be a coincidence but i have come down with a high temp coughing and sore throat. I have been to my Dr and have antibiotics. I have started to worry that this is caused by the restylane. I have no redness or swelling at the site of injection.

Many thanks XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably just a coincidence, nothing to worry about ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Fortunately enough, this was just a coincidence as restyane side effects only include swelling, itching, redness, pain or bruising at the site of the injection and nothing more.

The temperature does indicate the presence of an infection, but the antibiotics prescribed will only really help if the source of the infection is bacterial, else the antibiotics will only be prophylactic treatment.

Go ahead and purchase a disinfectant like betadine mouth wash and also gargle your mouth with lukewarm water and less than a pinch of salt in it several times a day. Mild pain management medication can also be used with an anti-inflammatory action to help relieve you of any discomfort if present.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D