What causes fever, chills and body aches?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Wed, 1 Feb 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my 17 year old has had up to a 100.3, down to 96.7, normal and up again over the last 30 hours with chills and body aches. Does flu present like this with fever up and down?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Flu can cause those symptoms but other infections also

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HCM.
I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Fever is a sign that can happen with several infections and flu is one of them. Yes fever can go up and down and it might go from normal to 100.4 and up to 104 F and rarely even more. The patient might feel very tired and have body aches. Some cough and runny nose might happen also. The fever might last 3 full days and rarely even more.

Even though we are in flu season and fever can be caused by flu I would still recommend you to see a doctor if fever lasts more than 3-4 full days, your son is not improving after 3-4 days with symptoms or any chest pain or tightness or he looks very ill as other infections like pneumonia migh need to be ruled out.

So to conclude:
1. make sure your son takes ibuprofen and ibuprofen regularly every 6 hours to help with fever and any pain he might be feeling.
2. give him frequent small amount of fluids and food so he can be hydrated
3. he needs to rest
4. if no improvement in 3-4 days with the symptoms or any worsening he will need to see a doctor.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to contact me back if any more clarifications are needed.

I wish your son will get better soon.

Kind regards,

DR Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T