What causes fever, chills and body ache?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Thu, 27 Oct 2016 in Infections
Question: I have been sick for a week. During the day, with the help of Ibuprofen I feel fine. At night, when I start to get tired, I get fever, aches, chills, headaches....just like a flu. But no congestion or cough at all.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This is typical for the flu

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Typical symptoms of the flu are fever and chills, headaches, sometimes nausea, and aches and pains. If something like a sore throat or cough ensues, that can be a bacterial infection overlying the viral infection.

Tamiflu, a prescription medication, if taken within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms, can shorten the duration of the illness, but, in your case, that's not practical now.

The flu can last up to 10 or more days and the only treatment is ibuprofen or Tylenol for the fever, plenty of rest and fluids, and perhaps vitamin C and zinc supplements.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee