What causes fever and vomiting in a person with renal calculus?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: sir my brother has small left renal calculus 3mm noted at lower pole now he is using medicines now he got fever and vomtings I am sendings his report and medicines plz check and suggest the best
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
renal stone

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
The size of the renal calculus is 3mm and hence small, so doesn't actually need any lithotripsy as of now ( which is required for stones more than 5mm).
Any renal stones less than 4mm usually tend to pass out naturally through urinary tract and passed off through urethra.
The main stay presently is conservative management with antibiotics and pain killers and alpha blockers ( urimax) . Increased water intake allows more urine production and higher chances of it being passed off in urine. The infection may set in if water intake is less and hence stagnation or lesser production of urine occurs.
The prescription is fine and includes alpha blocker( urimax) for renal vasculature relaxation and increased blood flow, to help decrease pain , DRotin is an antispasmodic, ZOfer for nausea.
An antibiotics may also be added for a week like Tab cefexime 200mg twice a day for a week which shall cover up for the secondary pyelonephritis which could be a possibility. You may discuss the option with your physician.
Please don't be worried, if water intake is high 4-5 litres a day then such small stones shall pass out through urine sooner in a week.