• question-icon

What causes fever and sore throat post an unprotected intercourse?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Dear Doctor,

Unfortunately I had an un-protected vaginal and oral intercourse on 19th May and had a HIV1&2 antibody (CMIA) test on 17th XXXXXXX (29th day) which came negative with a value - 0.08. I also checked with the lady and she told she was tested for HIV couple of years back and she was negative then. But after that any year back, one time she had unprotected sex with a stranger, but no needles or anything. But for last one week, after my test results, I am hunger less, slightly feverish and having sore throat. My questions are -

1. I am currenly living in Oman and does this test can be considered as a 4th Gen and conclusive on 28th Day?

2. Is there any possibility, HIV symptoms can appear after 4 weeks even after a negative test? I am a person with good health and never have undergone any serious treatments which can reduce my immunity.

3. I know I am badly anxious and unable to stop thinking about this, can my symptoms happen due to my high anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to get tested again after 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Dear xx,

Welcome to HCM.

You had unprotected vaginal as well as oral sex and the CMIA HIV 1&2 antibody test is negative after 29th day of exposure so the risk is very unlikely but it is not conclusive because the window period for HIV varies from 15 days to 3 months so you need to go for repeat HIV test after 3 months.

The symptoms you had are due to severe anxiety or stress but not related to HIV in any way so don't think much about them. Consult your physician to isolate the cause and follow the treatment regime. Be relaxed, forget about the episode and move on in life. For any further query feel free to ask me any time.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 3 hours later
Thank you very much for the advise doctor, how ever I have started feeling it more obvious. Like I have a severe head ache on my forehead exactly. Sore throat has turned a more physical pain kind while I rotate my neck. Back pain and eye burns as well. I am really worried and feel so sorry of what I did. I understand the conclusive test is after 12 weeks, but what would be the percentage of changing of my result in to a positive one later? Please I am not going compulsive but I am really unable to cop up with this. I have read usually the 4 Gen Duo tests are conclusive after 28 days, so was my test a 4 Gen test and can I still have more hopes and lead a normal life? Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
The chances of result being changed are very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear xx,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

The percentage of change in result after being negative at 29th day with CMIA Duo test is very lessso allay the fear or anxiety related to HIV. The symptoms you are facing are mostly due to some other common viral infection or seasonal change for which consult your physician to isolate the cause and follow the treatment regime as per the advice. If still any query is there then feel free to ask me any time.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Thank you doctor. The only doubt I had about the test was it was written just "HIV 1&2 Antibodies - CMIA" but not Antigen, is that normal not to specify the antigen, but it's included with ever CMIA test irrespective of what generation test it is. You are words are already assuring and making a good difference to me. Thanks a lot for being here with such a wonderful service. May God bless!
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to go for 4th gen HIV Duos test after 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Dear xx,

Welcome back once again.

CMIA HIV 1&2 Antibody test rules out for antibody only that is why antigen is not written in the report. You need to go for 4th gen HIV Duos test which detects both antigen as well as antibody against HIV and the result will definitely come in your favor so be relaxed, forget about the episode and move on in life happily.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Thank you very much doctor
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Dear xx,

You are most welcome any time if you need any help in future and I am always here to help you out straightway. Wishing you very happy and healthy life ahead.

Thank You
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist