• question-icon

What causes fever and sneezing in a child?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello.
I want to ask something. I am on vacation with my doughter of 4 years since four days. Today she started some nose sneezing and suddenly she had some fever. Its 37.5 centigrade. Do you think I should give her some tachipirine or do I have to wait? And if I should give to her, do you think 7 ml? Her weight is 20 kg.
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Often such viral infections manifest with fever. If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated.

Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component. It is advisable to give some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days.

You need to give Tachipirina (Paracetamol) if your child has fever with temperature more than 37.5°C. You need to give 7 ml of 250ml/5ml strength (double if you are giving 125mg/5ml) when needed. Also give tepid sponging.

Please be patient. It may take a few days for the recovery to occur. It should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days.

Hopefully that would help. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Thank you doctor. How much cetirizine should I give to her?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
2.5 mg once daily

Detailed Answer:
You can give 2.5 mg of cetirizine orally once daily. I am not certain about the brands and their strengths available in your country. You will have to check the label and give the dose accordingly (strength can be 5 mg/5ml or something like that).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician