What causes fever and nausea?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: I have 100 degree fever and feeling uneasy in my stomach. feel a lot of gas and felt like vomiting.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Seems stomach flu Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic. It seems that you have stomach infection. Most of the stomach infections are viral in nature. It will get better on its own. Antibiotics are not needed. You may take gatorade or ORS-L after every vomiting or diarhea. Can try dicyclomine medicine for bloating. For nausea (feeling of vomiting) you may take ondansteron (an anti-emetic). You need to discontinue telma and zivast till your stomach infection gets better. Before you discontinue any prescription medicine, a visit to the treating doctor is needed. Let me know if you have any doubts. Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 31 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your reply. I took Pan D around 6:30 pm and Calpol at 7pm. It is 9pm now and I am sweating but the fever is still on 100. I feel very gassy and my stomach hurts quite a bit. I also took a pudin XXXXXXX tablet around 5pm but no respite. I also get sour burps but haven't vomited yet, though I do feel sometimes to. Is there any other medicine you suggest I take in addition or replacement of what I said above? And what kind of diet should I follow? more of curd and light boiled rice? please suggest, thanks!
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Virals get better on their own Detailed Answer: Hi again It seems like a viral since you have fever and virals get better on their own. If there was no fever, I would have suspected acute gastritis. Gastritis is treated with antacids like Pantoprazole (a component of pan-D). The D part is antiemetic, so you do not need to take ondansetron. I would suggest a few things: - Dicyclomine (available as clomin) can be taken alongwith - Drink pure water from RO system. Avoid mineral water. - Whatever diet you take should be hygienic and soft. Yes curd and rice is good. - Antacids should be taken alongwith like gelusil etc. -Take fruits that are soft in consistency. Avoid raw vegetables. - If you are not better in 5 days, then go for tests like test for typhoid fever, etc. - Avoid pain-killers and even calpol if not needed. These medicines worsen gastritis. Hope it helps. Dr Vaishalee