What causes fever and headaches after getting flu vaccination?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I contracted this (i think) from my 4 yr old grand son. But it's not getting better and I had a flu shot. bad headache, fever about 100.6 off and on over the last three days. Sore throat is mild but there. Coughing a lot, esp at night. Feel like crap. When I got up this morning, i was really dizzy. So now i'm concerned. I've got a doc in XXXXXXX but it's sunday

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

This does sound like influenza which typically has symptoms of fever, cough, muscle aches, sometimes headaches. The dizziness, particularly light headedness when you get up, can go with all of this.

You can go into an urgent care and have a test for flu, or you can just try to weather this out as you are doing, with lots of fluids, and pain/fever reducers.

However, if the fever gets higher, or if you are short of breath or coughing up discolored sputum (and not just when you get up), then please go in to be seen as it could be something other than or in addition to flu.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help further.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 21 minutes later
Thanks for your response, if not better tomorrow i'll go in. Have a nice day, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Ok. Flu usually lasts roughly 7 days - 10 days, but you shouldn't be getting worse, that would be a reason to go in.

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD