question-icon

What causes fever and decreased urinary frequency in a child?

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018
Question: Baby age : 1 month, My baby temperature shows 98.1 and feeling litely hotter at forehead and stomach compared to legs and hands and decreased urine frequency from 10 to 6. Is this considered as normal or need for consultation??
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Up to 6 times ok, not below. Increase breastfeeding

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the details carefully and understand your concern.

It is not normal for the urine frequency to drop. If the frequency is more than 6 times in 24 hours, you would know that the amount of feeding is adequate. If the amount of passage of urine is less the amount and frequency of feeds needs to be increased, but if the child is lethargic you would need to take the child to a doctor without any further delay.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatric Neurologist