What causes fever and cold post intercourse?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Sir I'm a male aged about 49 yrs,a month back I had visited a spa and due course had sex with her,when I ejaculated in her vagina and when I withdrew I saw the condom was broken, the act lasted for 3 to 4 minutes,I don't know when it was broken,I asked her if she had any infections she denied.After a week I had cold ,running nose no fever ,some small sores on my tongue .cold lasted for 3to 4 days,what are chances of contracting hiv,what tests should I go for,request an early reply and help. Thank you sir
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do an objective PCR test for mRNA (HIV) & Herpes Simplex type1/2 IgG & IgM

Detailed Answer:
Hello there.
Thanks for posting your query directly to me & do hope I can do justice to it.
At the outset, might I suggest do a PCR test for m-RNA. This is an objective way to allay your fears & confirm that you are dealing with a common cold & not any HIV virus. It will detect even a small load of virus & at an early stage.
Clinically, I do not feel you have anything to worry about & it does look like a common cold or flu with some stress induced apthous ulcers.
Herpes Simplex cannot be ruled out so please do a Herpes Simplex type 1 & 2 IgG & Ig M with titres & this will clear the issue once & for all.
Do not dwell too much on the condom breakage as the incidence is similar to a needle stick injury.
Do please do the objective tests & clear your mind. I would have recommended the Elisa for HIV test but the time frame is not conducive & it has to be repeated after 6 months which will add to the burden of stress. Go with the PCR & the Herpes serum/blood tests & put the episode behind you.
Do remember to keep your self hydrated well & perhaps a B-complex addition to your diet with Vit C will boost your immunity & make you feel better soon & prevent colds.
Good Luck & Godspeed.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX Bhateja Hospitals, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 4 hours later
Sir,xxxxx here, I would request you to please suggest a laboratory for these tests,where in I can go and refer your name and get the tests done,tomorrow. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Central Lab & will reach me via secure email

Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
If in XXXXXXX (presume you are), go across to Central Lab anytime 8-8 @ XXXXXXX Circle (3rd floor above Aromas of china rest & Tata Motors....same bldg).
The results will reach me via email if you specifically instruct them to do so.
Good Luck. Dont worry the tests are simply to allay your fear. My gut feeling is they will be negative.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 20 minutes later
Thank you sir I will do.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
OK

Detailed Answer:
OK
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar