What causes fever and chills after taking Mobic?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Diabetes
Question: My father is 77 years old and a diabetic. He went to the doctor Tuesday for leg and hip pain. Test came back as a strained muscle, prescribed mobic and muscle relaxer. He took his mobic this morning at 4am it is now 6pm and he has a fever of 100.3 and sever chills. Should we be concerned? Mobic website said that fever and chills can be a rare side effect.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
infection would need to be ruled out, may need to be assessed

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Though fever and chills are rare side effects of mobic, the most common cause would be infection.

Infection is the most likely cause of fever and chills and this would need to be considered even if there are no other symptoms at the moment pointing to a source.
In some cases of infection, fever and chills are the initial symptoms that occur.

If he does have symptoms pointing to a source eg cough and cold early symptoms, stomach upset, pain then these can be addressed.

If there are no specific symptoms and the fever continues then he should see his doctor for assessment to determine if the fever is due to infection or as a result of the mobic
In the meantime, the use of paracetamol, cool liquids, tepid sponging and fan therapy would help.

Even though he feels the chills, he must remember not to bundle up. Chills occur in response to an increase in temperature, bundling or dressing in warmer clothes would further raise the temperature

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions