What causes fever along with reduced platelet count?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello There,
My dad's age 74. He had 100 temperature for 3days. The doctor gave him medication for viral and advised for dengu and platelets test. The fever came down after 3 days. But platelets count has been 77k. It reduced one day to 70 K and today stays at 74 K. Otherwise, he is feeling absolutely fine except for weakness. Please advise What to do.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeat the count

Detailed Answer:

Dengue or most of the viral fevers which can reduce the platelet count can reduce the same for a minimum period of 10 days. Hence, it is essential to repeat the blood tests for at least 1 week from the first day of fever. If the platelet count drops below 50000, he must be hospitalized.

Giving ample amount of fluids is also necessary in such viral fevers.

Can also give him tablets like Caripill one tab after food twice daily for 1 week, which are known to increase the platelet count.

Hope, I answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T