What causes feet to turn mottled, discolored and numb after exercising?

Dr. Behar Greca

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: After exercising, my feet turn mottled, generally discolored, and numb. I have been diagnosed/treated for OCD (with a manifestation of excessive exercise) and bulimia nervosa. Is this likely a side effect of lifestyle choices or a testament to a greater circulatory problem? I have never had this issue before the last few months or so.
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Narrowing of the blood vessels...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting!

I have gone through your query and I understand your concerns.

According to your symptoms and to your medical history I can say that such symptoms are caused by narrowing of the blood vessels that supply legs and feet.

Discolored feet shows that the oxygen level in your blood is low, and that more blood is required.
When exercising, a lot of oxygen is required from the body. To supply high levels of oxygen more blood is supplied to the body. But your blood vessels can't supply enough blood due to narrowing.
This is the reason why your feet are discolored and numb.

Doppler ultrasound(to check blood vessel condition), INR test and a glucose test
are necessary for the diagnosis. A lipid test is also necessary.

The results of the tests will determine the right treatment.
You should consult your angiologist for an evaluation of your condition.

Ask me for anything unclear.

Wish you good health.
Dr. Behar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D