question-icon

What causes feeling of soreness in the rectum?

Posted on Mon, 9 Jun 2014
Question: Sometimes inside my rectum feels sore when I lay down to sleep. Kind of feels like deep gas, but it is not. It is not frequent, but enough to make me a bit concerned. I do not see a cause as well. Thoughts?
A little more detail...Seems to be more tender on the right side/center. It feels like I sat wayyy too long, but that is not the case. Soreness seems to be about 5 to 6 inches inside. When it happens, I go to the bathroom because it feels a bit like gas deep within, but this never helps to alleviate the soreness. Soreness seems to eventually go away. My stools look ok to me (nothing any different).
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
you need a colonoscopy examinatiion

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Thanks for contacting HealthcareMagic.

Feeling of soreness in the rectum can be due to inflammation in the rectum. You have not mentioned for how long you have it. It is odd that your stools are normal and that the soreness is intermittent. Normally with inflammation I would expect abnormal stool and persistent soreness. It is also possible that these symptoms are due to intermittent rectal spasm which occurs usually in people with stress.

I think to resolve the cause of your symptoms you should undergo a colonoscopy.

Best wishes.

Dr Dinesh Kumar Singal
Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal

Gastroenterologist