What causes feeling of something stuck in the throat?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Feeling like something stuck in my throat , cold sensations rising from stomach. Cold trickle down spine and some random difficulty swallowing salivar
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
many possible causes

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
There are many causes of this type of sensation. As you mentioned in your profile globus hystericus is one. That is unlikely to be the cause unless this only happens when you are very anxious or irritated. If it is a more persistent problem or if it happens in different situations then it is probably an abnormality in the esophagus.
It could be a a blockage of some sort.
This type of sensation can also occur from reflux disease where the stomach acid comes up into the esophagus. If it tends to happen after a large meal or when you lie down at night it is more likely to be reflux.
It could also be something arising from the throat.
Seeing a doctor and exploring some of these possibilities would be helpful. A trial of an antacid medication like omeprazole may help to rule out reflux disease.
If you think this is from anxiety then a therapist or counselor may be helpful.
If you are having trouble swallowing then two tests that could be helpful are an esophagram and a swallowing test done by a speech therapist. Speech therapists are trained to do tests looking at the muscles involved in swallowing and sometimes weak swallowing muscles can give you difficulty in swallowing.
Dr. Robinson