• question-icon

What causes feeling of something stuck in the throat?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, when I eat something a lot of the time it feels like it's stuck in the left side of my throat. I went to
an ENT this week and he didn't find anything wrong. Now I'm thinking I maybe should have had an upper endoscopy?I've had this feeling for approx 6 months. I have OK days and today isn't one of them. At lunch I had a sandwich and it felt as though the bread was stuck in my throat. Then at supper I had a slice of pizza - still have that food stuck in the throat going on. I also have a tickle in my throat -
both sides but especially on the right side. I did have some acid reflux when this had all started but it seems to be under control now. I sleep with my head elevated and an taking Tagament for the acid that may occur. Is this something normal or do I need to get this checked out. As I said prior,
my ENT said everything was fine but now I'm thinking I may need to have a doctor check farther down my throat? I would appreciate your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
UGI endoscopy

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Feeling of something stuck in the throat is called globus phrayngeus. There are many different causes for it and acid reflux (GERD) is one of the causes.

Take Nexium once a day before breakfast for relief.

Yes I would suggest an upper GI endoscopy be done.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr.R.K
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 16 hours later
My ENT Dr gave me generic Prilosec and I started taking it yesterday, 3/24/16.
It's Omeprazole DR 20 mg, once a day. Also, are there certain foods that I should avoid? I have been sleeping in an elevated position in case GERD is the cause of my problem. How long should I take this medication if it doesn't help with my condition before I have an UGI endoscopy?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for getting back to me with more questions.

Yes , you can take generic Prilosec.
Take it for 4 weeks.
If there is no complete relief in four weeks get an UGI scopy done.

Avoid coffee, citrus, tomatoes, mint, fatty food, alcohol and smoking.

Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 24 hours later
Should chocolate and peanuts be avoided also?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Yes, chocolates and peanuts also should be be avoided.

Dr.R.K.
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist